Custom Search

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Are you Creating a Music Ministry for the Future?


What happens to your music program (or department) when you’re not there?? Does it run smoothly?? Does everyone know what they’re doing, or can your music program not run without you there??

I myself have run up against this challenge within my own music program. Depending on the size of church you attend, and the amount of talent that attends your church, this can prove a challenging, yet necessary, task. Though my church is limited on the amount of musical talent, I have made this a personal goal of mine for last the last two years. It’s something that will take years to develop, but if you never start….you’ll never get to where you want to be.

I am the primary piano player, and besides myself, I don’t have someone else with the experience and skill level needed to run our worship services the same way as I do. I've often encouraged and pushed others that have a desire to labor in the music ministry, to venture out....to lead a worship service, or run a practice session.

People are usually scared to step out in this fashion, as it can be nerve racking (I was when I started out). It feels as though you hold the direction of the ENTIRE service in your hands...whether it will draw people to worship, or whether it will just kill the spirit God has for that service. AAAHHHH!!!

So…….What have I done??

Recently, my job has required me to work on Sunday’s once per month. This has given me the opportunity to delegate the authority of running music practice and worship service to others within my department. It has also given others a sense of urgency, and opportunity to step out and embrace their calling. Needless to say, when someone has a great responsibility placed upon them, they will find a way to get it done, and typically do it well.

There will always be hiccups and mistakes made along the way, but we must always be encouraging our people in this regard. Encourage people to make mistakes. Tell them that by making mistakes, we learn and grow. If we never made any mistakes, it's usually because we never try, and if we don’t try, we don’t grow.

So mistakes are a good thing. Now, also be sure to re-enforce that this is a concept, and that we need to make adjustments and correct these mistakes, but to not be afraid to make them. The more confidence you show towards and in people, the less reluctant others are about stepping out and taking a chance. So don’t be stingy with praise and encouragement.

I don’t want to make this an extremely long post, so I will cover this in segments. I also want to talk more about detailed things that I have done to get the Music Ministry of tomorrow developing within my church. Tune in for more to come.

Thanks for reading, and I hope this has helped!

God Bless,

B

1 comments:

steph said...

yo B, that's some good reading. i have been involved in some music in church waaaaaay back in the day, and man it was nerve-wracking!